Interesting pratincole at k20 salt pans (Main Area)
Hi Barak and all,
as Yoav already pointed regarding the bird we (Martin Garner, Neil Glenn and I) had at K20 on April 2nd, there is one more feature which was very obvious on that bird:
the first thing that caught my eye on the April bird was the fact that it seemed very small headed and very small in general. as written so well in Martin's website, we were having thoughts of it being OP on the site and only when it flew, did we rule it out for the distinct trailing edge and long tail.
In a recent remark Martin got from Gerald Driessens, he writes:
"At first glance, I thought "hm, this is going to be another Oriental", immediately followed by other opinions when scrolling down to the flight picture.
As you mentioned in your mail, indeed there's quite a lot suggesting Afrotropical Collared.
Not only the darker colour, but also the more capped effect, warmer colour, strong gape line, the lack of a white border inside the dark throat surround... Also the flight picture suggests the same.
Problem is that lookalikes exist in the race pratincola, but is is a real marked individual.
One thing that puzzles me, is the jizz of this bird, I never came upon pictures or live birst giving this Oriental feeling with short, peaked head and (as far as the photo's show) a rather upright stance.
As well as Afrotropical is somewhat intermediate between pratincola and maldivarum, it could as well be possible that a somewhat different looking population exists somewhere in Asia...
I remember observations of a flock of breeding 'Orientals' showing quite long tail stremaers (was it by you Lars? Or by Arnoud perhaps...)
In the Stockholm museum, there was also an Oriental showing tail streamers outside the range of Oriental (or at least, outside what we call 'the range' ...
...But what is an Afrotropical Collared doing in Israel in April...?"
- Interesting pratincole at k20 salt pans - Eyal Shochat, 19.05.2012, 15:10 (Main Area)
- On ground - Eyal Shochat, 19.05.2012, 15:13
- Underwing - Eyal Shochat, 19.05.2012, 15:17
- upper wing I - Eyal Shochat, 19.05.2012, 15:20
- Upper wing II - Eyal Shochat, 19.05.2012, 15:24
- Head close-up - Eyal Shochat, 19.05.2012, 16:17
- Possible solution - yoavpe, 20.05.2012, 06:42
- Interesting pratincole at k20 salt pans - Barak Granit, 20.05.2012, 12:46
- Interesting pratincole at k20 salt pans - itaisha, 20.05.2012, 13:42